Am I Supposed to File a 1099-MISC Form?

1099-MISC forms are shrouded in confusion in the online world...or rather the whole US among business owners with contractors.

With so many different boxes, having to figure out who gets one, and calculating out how much you paid out, it can all seem like a super scary undertaking!


OK...maybe not that level of scary!

But I'm going to break it all down for you!

What is a 1099-Misc Form?

A 1099-MISC form is just a fancy/scary name for a form that let's the IRS track contractor's income.

So here's the deal, it would be really easy for contractors to simply not report their income they earn that was paid in cash or ACH (bank to bank transfer) and go about their years never paying taxes.

Of course the IRS is like 


So they created the 1099-MISC to keep this 'non-payment' of taxes at bay.

This is why you have to file this form for your contractors instead of them filing it for themselves.

So now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Who gets a 1099-misc?

I'm going to make this as easy as I can with a little yes or no quiz. 

Simply take each person you paid this year through these questions including, but not limited to:

  • Virtual Assistant

  • Designer

  • Web Developer

  • Bookkeeper

  • Accountant

  • Copywriter

  • Coach

  • Consultant

  • Lawyers (this one is special though, they will get a 1099-MISC regardless of their business entity)

  • Social Media Manager

  • Rent an office space? The property owner gets a 1099 - unless you paid a real estate agent or property manager. In that case, they would be the ones filing a 1099-MISC for the property owner.

  • Etc.

is the person in the United States?

If not, there's no need to worry with a 1099-MISC. But you will need to have them fill out a Form W-8BEN to certify they are not in the US.

If so, keep going.

Did you pay this person $600 or more?

If not, no need to file a 1099-MISC.

If so, keep going.

Is the person/business working for you a corporation or an LLC filing as a corporation?

Well first, how to we figure this out? The best way is to send everyone you paid more than $600 annually a W-9 Form

If you'd like to understand what the W-9 Form is and why it's important, you can learn more in this post.

Do you have contractors? Find out if you need to file 1099-MISC forms for them.

If they are a C Corp or S Corp, no need to file a 1099-MISC.

If they are a sole proprietor or LLC, keep going.

Did you pay them by ach (bank to bank transfer), cash, check, or direct deposit?

If not, meaning you paid them by credit card or PayPal, you don't need to file a 1099-MISC.

If so, you need to file a 1099-MISC.


Contractors paid by credit card or PayPal will receive a 1099-K if certain criteria are met from those payment processors, which means it isn't your problem or concern!

Steps to file a 1099-Misc

Step 1: Send contractors a w-9 form

This is just to help you figure out if they are a sole proprietor or LLC to know if you even need to file a 1099-MISC.

You can find a W-9 Form here.

If you want to read more about the W-9 Form, you can do that here.

Step 2: Look over w-9s to figure out who you need to file for

Any sole proprietors or LLCs?

Step 3: figure out how much you paid them for the year in ach, cash, check, or direct deposit

You will need this amount for the 1099-Form.

Step 4: File the 1099-MISC using track1099 or hire a bookkeeper or accountant to help

You can easily file your 1099-MISC using a cheap and easy software called Track1099.

Over your head?

Let us worry about it and be your guide so you can rest easy!

We file 1099-MISC forms for just $25 per form :)